Post by kitty on Mar 21, 2020 18:18:12 GMT 10
Hex Editor, Hex calculator, Item ID list [faulty at the moment, non-complete]
Files needed [only for the example, it works with ANY scenery file, with the correct adjustments ofc]:
We are, in this example, replacing one of the green herbs in the "Subway Station area", with another item. For fun, and mostly to verify that we can do it, in the first place.
Also be aware: I lost all my progress on RE5, and that was a lot - I can not tell you at the moment, how to change a itemholder to a weaponholder - so spawning in a weapon, instead of an item, will create an empty spot in the location the item is supposed to be.
You can although, very easily replace the Shotgun, in the Station, with an Assault Rifle.
Step by Step:
1. Open i_100_subway_area.scn.20 in Hex editor
2. Find an item that you desire - the items will be in "ASCII" text, but with "." inbetween. Like this: s.m.7.0._.0.0.1._.g.h.e.r.b._.0.1
This is due to HEX Editor formatting and is a minor issue.
3. Next to the String in this format, you will see "I.t.e.m"
4. Use your Hex editors "JUMP" function or count; from the START OF THE I in "ITEM", or i.t.e.m., we jump 80 bytes [or 80 of the "00" rows that you can see - 1 byte = one "double digit number", like 00 or FF or 02 and so on].
Again! We jump from the BEGINNING of the TEXT called "I.t.e.m". 80 bytes to the right from there.
Important note: for some items, the amount of bytes you have to step seems to vary - some are only ~70 bytes from "i.t.e.m.", and such. But the general area is always the same, 70-80 bytes. Followed by a series of "FF" bytes.
5. THERE you will find the HEX ID of the item to change. In our example: 02
6. Change with any ID. For my test, to goof around, I used "22" since someone said it was "AR Ammo" - it's not. It's magnum ammo.
7. Now jump 12 bytes to the right from HERE! - or press "right arrow" on your keyboard 12 times.
8. This is the "Quantity Integer" - the amount of items on the stack. Notice how it is 01? Change to a different number. FA for example. Enjoy 250 Shots of Magnum Ammo.
Proof for that it works:
Now some instructions of how this "code" looks in HEX EDITOR:
Purple: i.t.e.m. string from which you jump 80 bytes
Red: 80 bytes to the right of purple [ITEM ID], and 12 more Bytes to the right [Item quantity int]
As a hint:
Since this is the exact way we used to mod in RE5, it is possible to extent this to Enemy spawns [in the correct files, these files are only for items!!!], and also modify existing enemies [that spawn in a map].
Spoiler alert: Mini Nemesis, or Godzilla-Sized Nemesis / Zombies. I had a RE5 mod at some point that made the "Giant Ogre zombie" into a little tiny midget ogre... was fun.
The only thing we need now, is 1.) a functional and correct ITEM ID list, and B.) a start for modding enemies.
BTW. it is also possible to edit "breakables", the only difference is, that they have a "list" of items they can drop, as there is some RNG involved, it seems.